At the age of 18, or whenever a student enrolls in an institution of higher learning, students are guaranteed the following:
- The right to control who can access records,
- The right to inspect and review education records, and
- The right to seek to amend records if in error.
Students wishing to allow parents or spouses to obtain information other than directory information must have a signed FERPA Third-Party Release Form on File.
A request to block directory information is also available who wish no information to be released. Further clarification can be obtained by contacting the Registrar.
University employees who need access to a student's record in order to do their jobs may do so without consent, according to FERPA.
ETBU has designated certain information as public which can be released without student permission. This public, or "directory information", is limited to the following items:
- Telephone Number
- Email address
- Date and place of birth
- Photographic images
- Major field of study
- Participation in university sports and activities
- Weight and height of athletic team members
- Dates of attendance
- Degrees and awards received
- Previous educational institutions attended
- eligibility for or induction into honor society programs, etc.
*ALL other information about a student is considered private and is protected by FERPA.