East Texas Baptist University was founded as the College of Marshall in 1912, later becoming East Texas Baptist College in 1944 and East Texas Baptist University in 1984.
As a Christ-centered institution, East Texas Baptist University educates students by integrating biblical faith and learning to develop mind, body, and soul through community engagement to prepare graduates to be Christian servant leaders in their calling to God and humanity.
University Theme Verse, Proverbs 3:5-6
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to Him,
and He will make your paths straight."
Ensure the integration of biblical faith in curricular and co-curricular experiences including opportunities while embracing our Baptist heritage.
Equip students through excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship to explore God's truth and provide the knowledge and skills for academic success, degree completion, employment opportunity, and lifelong learning.
Develop and deploy Christian Servant leaders for their callings to God and to humanity.
Create an environment conducive to the development of the whole person through relevant facilities, resources, and services which allows a diverse and growing community to utilize their God-given gifts both locally and globally.
The vision of East Texas Baptist University is to stand boldly as a committed Christ-centered institution of higher learning. In light of the distinct calling to Christian education, the University seeks to inspire and impact students through the renewing of minds and the transformation of hearts for the cause of Christ. The primary focus of the ETBU educational experience is the development of the whole student – intellectually, spiritually, emotionally, socially, and physically – in an unwavering commitment to the transformation of mind, spirit, and body.
ETBU currently employs 75 full-time faculty who are dedicated Christians who are committed to integrating faith in the classroom.
Student to faculty ratio is 15:1 with an average undergraduate class size of 20.
East Texas Baptist University Seals
College of Marshall
East Texas Baptist College
East Texas Baptist University
ETBU currently has 11,243 alumni that serve in different capacities as nurses, pastors, teachers and more.
May the Light On the Hill Never Die
ETBU offers exciting degree opportunities to achieve your goals for the 45 undergraduate programs and 11 graduate programs whether you are interested in pursuing a call to community or church ministry, an exciting career in criminal justice and the emerging area of forensic science, or exploring a passion for teaching the next generation of young learners.
East Texas Baptist University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award baccalaureate and master’s degrees. Questions about the accreditation of East Texas Baptist University may be directed in writing to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, GA 30033-4097, by calling (404) 679-4500, or by using information available on SACSCOC’s website (www.sacscoc.org).
The University is authorized to certify teachers under authorization of the Texas Education Agency and is an accredited member of National Association of Schools of Music. The ETBU Nursing Program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education and approved by the Board of Nursing for the State of Texas. The Athletic Training program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education.
- #39 in Best Christian Colleges & Universities
- #1 in Texas, ETBU School of Nursing by registerednursing.org and rncareers.org
- #6 Top Christian Colleges and Universities in Texas
- #34 Baccalaureate College Ranking
- #50 50 Most Beautiful Christian Colleges And Universities
- #5 Best College Dorms in Texas out of 67
- #56 Best College Dorms in America out of 1,371
- #14 in Top Performers on Social Mobility (tie)
- #15 Best Regional Colleges West Rankings
- #10 Best Value Schools (Regional Colleges West)
- #84 Best Colleges for Religious Studies in America out of 197
- Named as a Tree Campus USA by the Arbor Day Foundation
- Named one of the Most Beautiful Christian Colleges and Universities
- Named as one of the Nation's Top Teacher Prep Programs for Early Reading Instruction
The tiger mascot for ETBU is represented by brother and sister, "Toby" and "Tabby."
|PMS 5395C||C= 100
|PMS 124C||C= 00
- Electronic Campus Information
East Texas Baptist University (ETBU) is a member of the Southern Regional Education Board’s Electronic Campus. Navigate to the Electronic Campus page to find information for students who are potentially seeking admission to ETBU online programs through Electronic Campus.
- Connect with ETBU
- Other Important Information
- Christian-focused education that emphasizes the integration of faith and learning.
- Common for students to refer to ETBU as “home” rather than “school.”
- 90% of full-time faculty have earned doctorates or terminal degrees.
- Students are taught by faculty members, not graduate assistants.
- Last year, ETBU students and faculty served through volunteering over 60,000 hours.
- ETBU Nursing students achieved 100% pass rate of the National Council (Board of Nursing) Licensure Examination for 2017. Additionally, our teacher education graduates’ pass rate for the state licensure exam (TExES) average over the last ten years is 95%.