Skip to main content

Life on the Hill


New Student Housing Information

As a first time freshman, where can I live?

Our first-time freshmen have two choices on where they can live. Most of our freshmen will live in Carlile Hall. However, we have a second selection for you as well. Females can select Carlile or Linebery Hall. Males can select Carlile, Fry Hall, or Linebery Hall. Both Linebery and Fry Hall provide a more unique and more intentionally living community.

As a transfer student, where can I live?

Our transfer students will be placed in housing beginning July 1. Our hope is to place all of our transfer students in upperclassmen halls: Linebery Hall, Fry Hall, Ornelas Hall, Mabee Hall, University Apartments, University Park, and The Oaks on Grove.

What are items that I should or shouldn't bring to campus?

As a new student coming to ETBU, here are some things that could be helpful to bring with you! We encourage you to coordinate and communicate with your roommates about some of these items! 

  • Television with streaming device (Roku, Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV)
  • Netflix/Hulu Plus/Amazon Prime account
  • Microwave (one per suite)*
  • Personal Micro-fridge or mini fridge (2.5 amps or less and up to 4.3 cu.ft.)
  • Cell phone and make sure it has good service/coverage in our area, and available service close by.  
  • Computer (preferably a laptop) and printer
  • Power strip/surge protector
  • Sports equipment (football, volleyball, basketball, and any other type of ball) for use at the sand volleyball court/outdoor basketball court
  • Desk Lamp and/or floor lamp
  • Alarm Clock
  • Laundry bag or basket
  • Laundry detergent
  • Stain Remover/stain stick
  • Eating utensils (preferably plastic)
  • Cups and plates - plastic or styrofoam
  • Small coffee pot
  • Cleaning supplies, (Clorox wipes, toilet bowl cleaner, Windex, comet, 409, magic erasers)*
  • Dish Soap, sponges, drying rack
  • Paper Towels
  • Vacuum, broom, small mop or Swiffer*
  • Full Sized Bedding (Carlile Hall)
  • Twin Sized Bedding (All residence halls with the exception of Carile Hall)
  • Extra blanket
  • Anything to decorate your room and make you feel at home
  • Sticky tack or command strips to hang your decorations (No nails or thumbtacks allowed)
  • Iron and small ironing board
  • Organizer/planner/calendar
  • Backpack
  • Fan
  • Bath towels, soap, robe, etc.
  • Personal hygiene items (toothpaste, deodorant, etc...)
  • Shower caddy for toiletries
  • Shower curtain, shower curtain rings, bathroom rugs*
  • Toilet paper
  • Small can-opener
  • First aid kit, including Band-aids, antibiotic ointment, ace bandage, etc.
  • Tylenol, Advil or other pain reliever
  • Umbrella, raincoat, rain shoes/boots
  • Friends and family contact list (include all ways to contact them, even their mailing address)
  • Modest Swimsuit(s) for the on-campus swimming pool
  • Workout and/or sports clothes

*We encourage you to coordinate with your roommates!

What should I leave at home?

  • Pets (Fish are acceptable in a 3-gallon tank or less)
  • Firearms or weapons of any kind
  • Fireworks
  • Alcohol, tobacco, or illegal drugs
  • Candles, incense, lighters and matches
  • Valuables
  • Carlile, Linebery, or Fry residents: Heated kitchen appliances, i.e., hot plate, air fryer, toaster, toaster oven, etc. not allowed.

Can I have a microwave and/or a fridge in my bedroom?

You may have a 4.3-cu ft or smaller refrigerator or a microwave. You may have a mini-refrigerator or microwave, but not both unless it is a Microfridge.

I'm living in Carlile Hall! What are some of the dimensions in my room?

Each bedroom is approximately 14 feet x 9 feet. Windows are 4 ft wide x 6 ft tall (Rooms 149-152 and 239-254 actually have 8 ft tall windows). Closets vary between 5 and 6 feet wide and approximately 20 inches deep. The space under the bed is 20 inches. Each room has a full-size bed, small dresser, desk, and desk chair. All of the furniture can be rearranged but can not be removed from the space.

How can I decorate my room?

Be creative! The only stipulations we have are as follows:

3M Command Strips, and Sticky Tack are used in place of nails. Room decorations must adhere to the policies of ETBU and not violate the dress code, display sexual content, express racial bigotry, and/or feature alcohol/drugs/tobacco/weapons.

Are there quiet hours in the residence halls?

Courtesy hours are 24/7, but we specifically implement quiet hours form 10:00 p.m.-7:00 a.m. Quiet hours will be observed 24/7 during final exams.

Are there study rooms available in the residence halls?

Each residence hall has a main lobby, and this space can be used for studying. Carlile Hall also has study rooms on each floor.

Will friends of the opposite gender be allowed to visit my room?

Yes, however, we have specific times when visitation for the opposite gender is allowed.

Visitation is from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. for Carlile Hall, 6:00 p.m. to midnight for Linebery, Fry, Ornelas, Mabee, and University Apartments, and 8:00 a.m. to noon for University Park and The Oaks on Grove. Students must bring their guests in and out through the main lobby of the residence hall to sign him/her in and out. For more information on policies regarding visitation, please see the ETBU Student Handbook and signs posted in your Residence Hall.

Is there a curfew?

As part of East Texas Baptist University's effort to provide for a safer and more secure campus community, ETBU observes a safety curfew. The on-campus safety curfew begins at 1:00 a.m. Sunday through Thursday and 2:00 a.m. on Friday and Saturday and ends at 5:00 a.m. Please refer to the ETBU Student Handbook.

May I have a pet on campus?

The only pets allowed in campus housing are fish, they must be kept in a 3-gallon aquarium (or smaller, limit one per room). Please refer to the ETBU Student Handbook.

What if I require a handicapped room?

If you are an entering student, please mark that on your housing application. If you are a current student, please talk to the Director of Residence Life and we can work with you to find the best accommodation.

Am I required to purchase a meal plan?

Yes. All students living on campus are required to have a meal plan. Depending on which hall you live in, a variety of meal plan choices will be available to you. Flex dollars may be used at Chick-fil-A and The Republic. Flex dollars roll over from Fall to Spring semester but not from Spring to Fall semester. The meals are used in the dining hall. 

Current Academic Year Meal Plan Cost

Students residing in Carlile, Fry, or Linebery are required to purchase a 14 or Unlimited meal plan. Students residing in Mabee, Ornelas, or University Apartments are required to purchase a 9, 14, or Unlimited meal plan. Students residing in the Oaks on Grove and University Park are required to purchase a $250 Flex meal plan but may choose from any of the meal plan options.  To change your meal plan, please complete the 'Meal Plan Change Request' form here. Students who do not receive a confirmation email should call Student Engagement prior to the last day to change meal plans to verify the form has been received. Unlimited meal plans may not be lowered after 5:00 p.m. on the first day of classes; all other meal plans may be changed up until the date listed in the Academic Calendar.

Student Engagement: 903.923.2320

Who can I contact with questions?

If you do have questions about Residence Life or housing, please do not hesitate to contact us at 903.923.2320 or email