Hello Potential RA Applicants!
We are excited that you are interested in applying to be a Resident Assistant at East Texas Baptist University!
Being a Resident Assistant can at times be challenging, but it is also one of the most rewarding jobs you will ever have. As an RA, you will encourage, challenge, and disciple students. You will be a go-to resource for residents who need support or a listening ear. There are many aspects of the RA role, but the most important of all is service. Serving others is at the heart of Residence Life. It is in serving others that we show students Christ.
As an RA, you will have the unique experience of being the leader on your hall. While it can be intimidating to be the one who students look up to, it is also rewarding to lean on the Lord for help because without Him, we cannot be successful! He will be with you to give you wisdom and guidance. You will also have an amazing group of RAs and RDs to support and encourage you along the way.
Below you will find an application checklist, which gives you a detailed outline of what you will need to submit in order to be considered as an RA. We are excited that you are interested in the position and we will be with you to support and pray for you as you go through this process. May God get the glory through it all!
- Application Check List
Applicants should submit the following:
New Resident Assistant
- New Resident Assistant Essay Questions
- 2 Reference Forms
Returning Resident Assistant
• Actively engaged in and committed to your faith in Jesus Christ
• Maintain a cumulative 2.5 GPA
• Enroll in a minimum of 12 hours (unless last semester) and a maximum of 18 hours, unless otherwise approved by the Director of Residence Life
• Must have completed 24 hours by term of employment
• Must have lived on campus at least one full semester, unless otherwise approved by the Director of Residence Life
• Must commit to a full academic year. (Dates of employment: July 29, 2024 through May 11, 2025)
- Personal Expectations
• Continually seeking to build your faith in Jesus Christ and lead a Christ-centered lifestyle.
• Must view the Resident Assistant position as your primary servant-leadership role on/off campus.
• Must be willing to live in the hall and on the floor assigned to you by the Residence Life staff.
• It is important for RAs to remember that their position is demanding and thus their other activities will have to be limited. No student teaching or interning should occur during the fall semester. (Those involved in student teaching, nursing clinicals, internships, and athletics need to prayerfully and thoughtfully consider the time commitment for each and be prepared to discuss the situation in the interview.)
• Be back on campus for RA Training prior to the start of classes for the fall and spring semesters.
- Time Commitments
- Duty Hours
- Weekly Staff Meetings
- RD One-on-one
- RA Leadership Class (every other week)
- Health and Wellness Checks (every week)
- Relationship Building/ Community Activities
- Weekend Duty
*Weekend duty is approximately 3-4 times a semester depending on Residence Hall
- New Resident Assistant Application Essay Questions
On a separate document to be uploaded to the link below, please type out your answers for the following questions (include the question typed above each answer). Please be concise, yet thorough. . Please save your document as a pdf.
- Why do you want to be an RA?
- Being an RA is a student-leadership position. What does this mean to you?
- In what areas do you think you will excel as an RA? In what areas will you be challenged as an RA?
- As an RA, how would you engage your residents?
- What would you change about Residence Life at ETBU?
- What are the three most important qualities of being a successful RA to you? Why?
- What does your current relationship with Jesus look like?