The sociology major has the following goals:
- To provide marketable skills such as research, planning and evaluation, and grant writing for students planning to enter the work force after graduation.
- To give basic preparation to students who expect to attend graduate school in sociology or one of the behavioral sciences.
- To contribute to the development of the student’s ability for critical thinking and capacity for personal reflection.
The sociology major may be taken on either the Bachelor of Arts degree or the Bachelor of Science degree and can lead to a broad range of career options.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Identify, demonstrate, or apply major concepts and theories of sociology.
- Identify or propose the appropriate use of research methods.
- Analyze using critical thinking skills for the application of sociological concepts and theories to everyday problems.
- Develop a familiarity with different disciplines and professions within sociology.
General Education Requirements - 50 hours
English 1301, 1302, and three hours sophomore literature - 9 hours
Fine Arts (three hours from music, theatre, fine arts, art, or equivalent) - 3 hours
Modern Language (at least one semester second year, all hours in same language) - 11 hours
Religion 1320 and 1330 - 6 hours
History - 3 hours
Political Science 2305 - 3 hours
Social Science (CJUS, ECON, GEOG, PSYC, SOCI - 3 hours
Physical Activity - KINE 1238 - 2 hours
Science (must be lab science) - 4 hours
Mathematics 1342 - 3 hours
Speech 1311, 1315, or 1318 - 3 hours
Departmental Requirements for Sociology Majors:
MATH 2316 Data Analysis
Major area of study (see below) - 34 hours
Minor (minimum of 18 hours) - 18 hours
Electives (to total 120 hours)
Total: Minimum one hundred twenty (120) semester hours
Completion of thirty-four (34) semester hours:
SOCI 1301 Introduction to Sociology
SOCI 2304 Social Problems
SOCI 2332 Introduction to Research Methods
SOCI 3151 Service Learning
SOCI 3307 Seminar in Moral, Ethical, and Religious Issues
SOCI 3364 Introduction to Human Services
SOCI 4301 Sociological Theory
SOCI 4350 Practicum in the Behavioral Sciences
Additional twelve (12) hours in sociology, nine (9) of which must be advanced
Semester by Semester Plans
Prior to the 2018-2019 school year there was more than one available major for Sociology. Please choose catalog according to your major.