Skip to main content

Life on the Hill


New Student Housing Information FAQs

As a first time freshman, where can I live?

Our first time freshmen have two choices on where they can live. Most of our freshmen will live in Centennial Hall, however, we have a second selection for you as well. Females can select Centennial or Linebery Hall. Males can select Centennial or Fry Hall. Both Linebery and Fry Hall provide a more unique and more intentionally living community.

As a transfer student, where can I live?

Our transfer students will be placed in housing beginning July 1. Our hope is to place all of our transfer students in upperclassmen halls: Linebery Hall, Fry Hall, Ornelas Hall, Mabee Hall, University Apartments, and University Park.

What are items that I should or shouldn't bring to campus?

As a new student coming to ETBU, here are some things that could be helpful to bring with you! We encourage you to coordinate and communicate with your roommates about some of these items!

  • Full size sheeets for Centennial Hall, twin sheets for all other halls; comforter, pillows, blankets, iron, ironing board, laundry basket, and laundry detergent
  • Television and DVD player, Cable cord, Ethernet cord to connect to ETBU Internet
  • 3M strips and hooks (no nails or tacks allowed)
  • Plates, bowls, cups and utensils, dish soap and scrub brush to wash dishes
  • Towels, wash cloths, bathroom rugs, toilet paper, shower curtain and rings
  • Lamp(s) i.e. Desk lamp or tall floor lamp
  • Cleaning supplies (i.e. Pledge, Comet, toilet bowl cleaner, Magic Erasers, Windex, etc.) Broom, small mop or Swiffer, small vacuum
  • Refrigerator (2.7 cubic feet or smaller and uses less than 2.5 amps), microwave (can have a mini-refrigerator OR microwave, not both in one room unless it is a Microfridge)
  • No cooking appliances/heating elements in Centennial, Fry or Linebery. Exceptions made for Mabee, Ornelas and University Apartments.
  • Centennial Hall: Tension rod and curtains for a 4’x6’ window (except rooms 149-152, 239-254 which have a 4’x8’ window)

*We encourage you to coordinate with your roommates!

Can I have a microwave and/or a fridge in my bedroom?

You may have a refrigerator that uses 2.5 amps of electricity or less or a microwave. You may have a mini-refrigerator or microwave, but not both unless it is a Microfridge.

I'm living in Centennial Hall! What are some of the dimensions in my room?

Windows are 4 ft wide by 6 ft tall (Rooms 149-152 and 239-254 actually have 8 ft tall windows). Closets vary between 5 and 6 feet wide and approximately 20 inches deep. Space under the bed is 20 inches. Each room has a full-size bed. All of the furniture can be rearranged.

How can I decorate my room?

Be creative! The only stipulations we have are as follows:

3M Command Strips, and Sticky Tack are used in place of nails. Room decorations must adhere to the policies of ETBU and not violate the dress code, display sexual content, express racial bigotry, and/or feature alcohol/drugs/tobacco/weapons.

Are there quiet hours in the residence halls?

Courtesy hours are 24/7, but we specifically implement quiet hours form 10:00 p.m.-7:00 a.m. Quiet hours will be observed 24/7 during final exams.

Are there study rooms available in the residence halls?

Each residence hall has a main lobby, and this space can be used for studying. Centennial Hall also has study rooms on each floor.

Will friends of the opposite gender be allowed to visit my room?

Yes, however, we have specific times when visitation for the opposite gender is allowed.

Visitation is from 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. for Centennial Hall and 6:00 p.m.-Midnight for Linebery, Fry, Ornelas, Mabee, University Apartments, and University Park. Students must bring their guest in and out through the main lobby of the residence hall to sign him/her in and out. For more information on policies regarding visitation, please see the ETBU Student Handbook and signs posted in your Residence Hall.

Is there a curfew?

As part of East Texas Baptist University's effort to provide for a safer and more secure campus community, ETBU observes a safety curfew. The on-campus safety curfew begins at 1:00 a.m. Sunday through Thursday and 2:00 a.m. on Friday and Saturday and ends at 5:00 a.m. Please refer to the ETBU Student Handbook.

May I have a pet on campus?

Only small aquatic pets are allowed in campus housing limited to fish, turtles, and hermit crabs. These pets must be kept in a 3-gallon aquarium (or smaller, limit one per room), except the common areas at Fry, Mabee, Ornelas and University Apartments where a 5-gallon aquarium may be used. Please refer to the ETBU Student Handbook.

When is the Dining Hall, Sub Connection and The Republic open during regular semesters?

Dining Hall:
Breakfast: Monday – Friday 7:00-9:00 a.m.
Lunch: Monday – Friday 11:00-2:00 p.m.
Dinner: Monday – Friday 5:00-8:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday hours: 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. and 5:00-8:00 p.m.

The Republic: 
Monday – Thursday 7:30 a.m. -10:00 p.m.
Friday 7:30 a.m.-7:00 p.m.

Sub Connection:
Monday – Thursday 11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. and 4:00-8:00 p.m.
Friday 11:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. and 4:00-7:00 p.m.

What if I require a handicapped room?

If you are an entering student, please mark that on your housing application. If you are a current student, please talk to the Director of Residence Life and we can work with you to find the best accommodation.

Am I required to purchase a meal plan?

Yes. All students living on campus are required to have a meal plan, with the exception of University Park residents. Depending on which hall you live in, a variety of meal plan choices will be available to you. Flex dollars may be used at Sub Connection and The Republic. Flex dollars roll over from Fall to Spring semester but not from Spring to Fall semester. The meals are used in the dining hall. 

Current Academic Year Meal Plan Cost

Centennial, Linebery, and Fry Hall residents are required to choose from the 14 or Full Meal Plan options. To change your meal plan, please email Meal plans can also be changed in the first week of school by stopping by Student Life.

I am not bringing a car on campus, how can I remove the parking permit fee?

It is easy to live on the ETBU campus without a car. If you are not bringing a car to campus, please email to have the parking permit fee removed. You may also stop by Student Life when you get to campus to have it removed.

Who can I contact with questions?

If you do have questions about Residence Life or housing, please do not hesitate to contact us at 903.923.2320 or email Follow us on Twitter @ETBUreslife.