The Department of Theatre Arts holds open auditions and invites all students, regardless of major, to audition. Faculty, staff, and community members are also welcome to participate.
Directors make casting decisions based upon the following:
- The quality of the audition
- The individual’s suitability for a role
- Recent roles performed
- Specific course or degree requirements
- Availability for and recent participation in workdays and strikes
- Calendar conflicts
- Academic standing
- Specific performance skills required by a role
- Chemistry with other actors
Auditions are typically comprised of cold readings from the script. However, they may also include improvisation, movement studies, and dialect readings. Musical auditions require each individual to prepare at least sixteen bars from a previously produced musical (accompaniment is provided). Please bring a copy of your sheet music.
Auditions are announced at least two weeks prior to the audition date via departmental email, ETBU This Week, Tiger Daily, and the website.
If you have questions about the audition process, the time commitment involved, or about a particular production, please do not hesitate to contact the faculty of the Department of Theatre Arts.