Applying for a VISA

Once ETBU has received all your required admissions paperwork and determined that you are admissible, the Form I-20 will be sent to you. To study in the United States you must then apply for a student F-1 visa at your country's nearest U.S.A. Embassy or Consulate. You may not, except in unusual circumstances, apply for your U.S. visa while in the United States or outside your country of citizenship.

Below is a list of documents you must present at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate when applying for a visa:

Valid passport
As you will probably be applying for a 4-year multiple entry U.S. visa, it is important that your passport expiration date is at least six months after the anticipated visa expiry date. For example, if you were getting your F-1 four-year visa in May 2014, make sure your passport expires no earlier than the same day in December 2018. (Applying on May 25, 2014 = your passport should NOT EXPIRE BEFORE December 25, 2018)

ETBU will issue you Form I-20 when you have satisfied the requirements outlined here. The form will then be sent to you by mail. Always take your I-20 Form when travelling in and out of the United States, and do not forget to get it signed on the back by your Designated School Official (DSO) before you leave the U.S. to go home for a period of time. It is recommended to keep your I-20 with your passport at all times.

Certification of Finances
To access this document, click here.

You may also be interviewed at the U.S. Embassy / Consulate when applying for your visa. During this interview it may be necessary to present your academic transcripts, proof of your your ability to pay (bank statements), and evidence of your intention to return to your country after graduation from ETBU. (For example, family members, permanent home, a job offer, other physical or financial assets in your home country.)