The city was founded in 1841. By 1850, it was the seventh largest city in Texas; and in the 1860 census, Marshall had risen to fourth largest - in the most prosperous county in the state.
After the Civil War, the town became known as the "GATEWAY TO TEXAS" when the Texas and Pacific Railroad provided transcontinental railway service to the west.
Marshall's renaissance was due largely to the vast expansion here of the T & P operations which brought an enormous influx of new settlers and railroad employees, including many skilled craftsmen and artisans for the railroad's sprawling shops.
As builders of fine public and private rail cars, they had beautiful raw materials readily available to build homes.
Those opportunities and influences are apparent throughout this tour of Marshall, Texas.
Marshall Convention and Visitors Bureau.