Dean and Professor
I have been in nursing for almost 30 years. During my career, I have realized that one’s values are what sustain a career. My relationship with Jesus is most precious to me. It shapes who I am. I am grateful to be a part of a university that holds that same value without compromise. My value of family also highly influences my choices in life. My husband and 2 precious daughters bring balance and joy that are without compare. Music, cooking, reading and enjoying good conversation are part of life that I find quite enjoyable and that pay high dividends for their investment. I am excited about growing with ETBU Nursing as we make a meaningful impact on the lives of the students, patients and communities we serve.
Be anxious for nothing¸ but in everything by prayer and supplication¸ with thanksgiving¸ let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God¸ which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:6,7 -
- 1999 PhD University of Rochester, School of Nursing
- 1985 MSN University of Alabama, Birmingham, AL Specialty Focus: Cardiovascular Nursing Clinical Focus: Critical Care Nursing
- 1983 BSN University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX Clinical Specialty: Cardiovascular Nursing & Evidence-based Practice
Models of EBP
Educational & Clinical Outcomes
Staff Nurse & APN Work Environment Issues
Coping with Life-changing Disorders
- Melnyk, B.M., & Fineout-Overholt, E. (2011). Implementing Evidence-based Practice: Real Life Stories. Indianapolis, IN:Sigma Theta Tau International
- Melnyk, B.M., & Fineout-Overholt, E. (2010). Evidence-based Practice in Nursing and Healthcare: A Guide to Best Practice. 2nd ed., Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
- Levin, R.F., Fineout-Overholt, E., Melnyk, B.M., Barnes, M., & Vetter, M.J. (2011). Fostering evidence-based practice to improve nurse and cost outcomes in a community health setting: A pilot test of the advancing research and clinical practice through close collaboration model. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 35 (1), 21-33.+*
- Fineout-Overholt, E., Williamson, K.M., Gallagher-Ford, L., Melnyk, B.M., & Stillwell, S.B. (2011). Following the evidence: Planning for sustainable change. American Journal of Nursing, 111(1), 54-60.
- Melnyk, B.M., Fineout-Overholt, E., Giggleman, M., & Cruz, R. (2010). Correlates among Cognitive Beliefs, EBP Implementation, Organizational Culture, Cohesion and Job Satisfaction in Evidence-based Practice Mentors from a Community Hospital System. Nursing Outlook, 58 (6), 301-308.+*
- Fineout-Overholt, E., Melnyk, B.M., Stillwell, S.B., & Williamson, K.M. (2010). Evidence-based practice, step by step: Critical appraisal of the evidence: part III. American Journal of Nursing, 111 (11), 43-51.
- Wallen, G.R., Mitchell, S.A., Melnyk, B.M., Fineout-Overholt, E., Miller-Davis, C., Yates, J., & Hastings, C. (2010). Implementing evidence-based practice: Effectiveness of a structured multifaceted mentorship programme. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 66(12):2761-71.
- Fineout-Overholt, E., Melnyk, B.M., Stillwell, S.B., & Williamson, K.M. (2010). Evidence-based practice, step by step: Critical appraisal of the evidence: part II: Digging deeper-examining the “keeper” studies. American Journal of Nursing , 110 (9), 41-48.
- Su/11 Impact of EBP Mentors in Magnet Organizations in the symposium Mentors and Magnet: Perfect Together Sigma Theta Tau International's 22nd Nursing Research Congress, Cancun, Mexico
- Su/11 Research, EBP and QI: One in the Same? in the symposium EBP: More than a Research Course Sigma Theta Tau International's 22nd Nursing Research Congress, Cancun, Mexico
- Su/11 The ARCC Model and Role of EBP Mentors in Promoting Professional Practice Attributes in the symposium Evidence-Based Practice as the Link to Professional Practice Development: The Road Less Travelled, but Worth the Trip Sigma Theta Tau International's 22nd Nursing Research Congress, Cancun, Mexico
- Su/11 Going for PAHO Status: The Benefits of the Journey in the symposium Creating Opportunities for Global Knowledge Exchange: Advancing Evidence-Based Practice through Planned Networking Sigma Theta Tau International's 22nd Nursing Research Congress, Cancun, Mexico
Professional Organizations Memberships:
2008 – present American Academy of Nursing
2008 – present American Nurses Association
2006 - present National Academies of Practice
1985 - present American Association of Critical Care Nurses
1983 - present Sigma Theta Tau
Ellen Fineout-Overholt PhD, RN, FNAP, FAAN
Dean & Professor