Table of Contents
PREFACE In order for life to be fun, God created games; therefore, we should play. The essence of competition is born in every person; it sleeps, and then is awakened on the playing field. Come to our playing fields, join the teams, play hard, have FUN, RELAX! You will be in your element. The following pages will guide you in a familiar concept, intramural sports. This is our invitation to you to come and join in. PARTICIPATION IS LIFE, The rest is just details. Pick your sport and
JUST PLAY IT! ETBU INTRAMURALS
PURPOSE OF THE INTRAMURAL HANDBOOK The purpose of the intramural handbook is to familiarize the participant with some general and specific guidelines pertaining to Intramural Sports. The handbook is designed to be as user friendly as possible. The subject areas are brief and direct, giving the reader the necessary information in simple terms. Other information concerning the specific rules of each sport and team/game schedules will be covered during planned meetings for the organization and administration of an intramural sport. The ultimate purpose of intramurals is to have maximum participation. The handbook invites the participation to come and be part of the program regardless of skill level. The rules and regulations are on a scale in which anyone, with the exception of varsity athletes of a correlated sport can be involved.
ADMINISTRATION OF INTRAMURAL SPORTS
1. The Director of Intramural Sports is in change of the Intramural Sports program.
2. The Assistant to the Director of Intramural Sports is in charge of the following: A. Organizing competition in various sports and leisure activities B. Maintenance, repair, use and security of all facilities used for intramural sports. C. Enforcing all rules and eligibility requirements. D. Enlisting officials and voluntary staff for administrative duties.
3. Intramural Supervisors are students that perform the following duties: A. Helping the Assistant to the Intramural Director. B. Informing members of the intramural council about activities. C. Promoting participation. D. Organizing equipment and assigning officials for events.
E. Reporting results of events and keeping a record of the point system.
F. Checking team rosters and enforcing eligibility rules.
G. Supervising intramural activities.
3. The Intramural Council is made up of the Team Captains, elected members and the Assistants to the Director of Intramural Sports. They are an advisory board to the Chair of the Intramural council. The Assistant to the Director of Intramural Sports will serve as the Chair. They administer, organize, plan and promote all activities. Responsibilities include:
a. Attend all meetings
b. Judge protests majority of the quorum rules
c. Promote intramural programs
d. Suggest ways to improve programs
e. Vote on awards and recipients of
ETBU intramurals are open to any currently enrolled students as verified by the Registrar Office. All faculty/staff are also eligible to participate also.
Alumni, dependents of faculty/staff, and Healthplex members are not eligible to participate.
Faculty/Staff are all eligible to play at any time with any intramural sport regardless of athletic history. The university encourages fellowship and/or competition outside of the classroom environment; thus the exception to rule number 2. Ineligibility of varsity or active athletes:
1.Any athlete currently participating in an organized team sport for ETBU (varsity or j.v.) is not eligible to participate in that season’s sport. Example: football players can’t play in flag football, volleyball players in co-ed volleyball, etc.
2. Students who were once a member of an ETBU varsity team, but are no longer participating in that given sport may be eligible to play with the understanding that there may be only one or two such players per roster, with no on the field restrictions. (Varies by sport)
“Varsity athlete “will be defined as any student listed on the current year’s roster/media guide or the all time roster for that sport. The exception being basketball and volleyball may only have one former ETBU athlete per roster.
3. Sports will most likely be scheduled during varsity athletic seasons in order to uphold these rules more effectively. Please remember this: intramurals are for students who are not already participating in the given events for the university!!! This is not to exclude any athletes from extra-curricular activities but to include all of our students who enjoy sports at a recreational level.
Suspension from game or intramural season 1. Vulgar language will not be tolerated during athletic events. Anyone participating and/or spectating is subject to ejection from game/facility, suspension from games or all intramurals for one year, and possible disciplinary action from the Office of Student Services.
2. Intimidation or fighting will not be tolerated by any officials or the director of intramurals. Intimidation includes the officials, scorekeepers, opposing players, teammates, or spectators. See rule #1 for possible actions taken.
3. The use of tobacco and/or alcohol is prohibited at all times. Any use of these substances will result in suspension from activity and disciplinary action.
4. Proper attire required at all times. The dress code will be strictly enforced as it is in the student handbook. Any player dressed inappropriately will not be allowed to participate until they have the proper clothing on.
5. Any unsportsmanlike conduct will be determined by officials and/or director and may result in ejection or suspension.
1. All players must be listed on their teams’ official rosters(director’s copy) before playing in any intramural games. Each team has until the end of the very first week of competition in each sport to finalize their rosters; meaning they can add players who are eligible up until that point by contacting the director or signing the official roster in the intramural handbook that will be kept at the games. NOTE: After the last official day to sign up players the book of rosters will be copied in order to keep proper of who was properly signed up.
2. Any teams using players who are not on listed on the roster or who have not signed the roster are subject to forfeit of games in which the fore mentioned players were used.
Protests concerning eligibility should be sent to the Assistant to the Intramural Director’s office in writing on the appropriate form not later than two days after the contest.
All initial protests or appeals on the appropriate form will go to the Assistant to the Director of Intramural Sports.
All final rulings will be made by the Director of Intramural Sports.
NOTE: Protests may not be made concerning rule interpretation of an official’s judgment. Interpretations on rules made by the intramural officials will be final. Only protests concerning eligibility or general rules of play will be honored by the intramural’s office.
1. A team’s or individual’s failure to show up for a scheduled event will result in a forfeit. The team or individual will be given a ten minute grace period before the event is officially declared forfeit.
2. The failure of both teams to show up for a scheduled event will result in a double forfeit. 3. Any team or player leaving before the completion of an official contest will forfeit that contest, and the opposing team or player will win by default.
4. The use of an ineligible player will result in an automatic forfeit.
5. If a team or player forfeits twice during the season, the team or player will be declared ineligible to participate in the rest of the season by the Director of Intramural Sports.
1. The Assistant to the Director of Intramural Sports will be the judge of postponements. If deemed necessary, or unavoidable, intramural contests may be postponed, but must be requested at least 48 hours in advance. The team manager/team captain must notify the Assistant of the Director of Intramural Sports.
2. No team postponements will be made because of absence of team members.
3. Weather and school functions will be considered cause for postponement. Social functions will not be considered cause.
All purpose, rubber soled cleats may be worn for outdoor sporting events. SPIKES AND METAL CLEATS ARE ILLEGAL!!!! Clean shoes must be worn in the Healthplex (including Key’s Gym). The Intramural council and/or the Director of Intramural Sports reserves the right to suspend the use of anything they deem dangerous or abusive.
1. Team Responsibilities
a. All team captains will have an entry form for each team sport. Forms will be provided by the Director of Intramural Sports through this handbook and the office of Student Services.
b. All teams participating in the intramural program will be expected to comply with all of the rules in the handbook.
c. All team captains will be responsible for turning in any entry fees (where applicable) for each of their team members. If an entry is not received before the designated deadline, the team will not be allowed to participate.
2. Individual Responsibilities
a. All participants are required to participate on their respective teams.
b. Each team member is responsible for knowing the game schedule for his/her team. A schedule of games will also be posted in designated areas.
1. All teams and players are expected to display good sportsmanship before, during, and after a contest. Failure to do so may result in a loss of intramural privileges.
2. Officials reserve the right to remove any team or player for dangerous manner of play or unsportsmanlike conduct. Profanity will result in immediate removal.
3. Ejections, other than those as a result of the foul rule, (i.e. disqualifications because of five fouls in a basketball game) will be addressed with a written warning from the Director of Intramural Sports. Possible suspension from intramural sports may occur.
ETBU INTRAMURAL SPORTS TEAM
Date ______________________________ Checked by ________________________________________
Sport or Event ______________________________ Organization _______________________________
Team Captain(s) _______________________________________________________________________
INFORMED CONSENT STATEMENT
The Intramural Sports Program at East Texas Baptist University is based on voluntary participation. East Texas Baptist University assumes no responsibility for injuries received during Intramural Sports Program activities. Students, faculty, and staff are reminded that all Intramural Sports Program participation involves inherent risks associated with the activities offered. Since the Intramural Sports Program can in no way regulate the health status of its participants, all participants are strongly encouraged to have a physical exam and secure adequate medical insurance prior to participation.
To acknowledge that each participant clearly understands this information and agrees to release the Intramural Sports Program from liability for injuries sustained while playing intramural sports, each participant must complete the release form below in order to participate in the Intramural Sports Program.
By signing this form I confirm that I have read the Informed Consent Statement, and I hereby release East Texas Baptist University, the Intramural Sports Program, and any other person connected to the University and this program from any responsibility for my safety and well-being. If I am injured in any way, I will assume full responsibility for any medical expenses incurred on my behalf concerning the injury. I sign this of my own free will and for the purpose of participating in Intramural Sports Program activities.
Printed Name Signature Shirt Cell Phone Email M/F
|Printed Name||Signature||Shirt||Cell Phone||M||Tu||W||Th||F|
This certifies that I know and understand the Intramural Eligibility Rules and have completed and checked the eligibility of all the players on this team. I understand that failure to comply with these rules will result in prohibition of play.
Team Captain Signature __________________________________ Date _________________